Tuesday 22 November 2016

Best Gendalf quotes

(C) The Lord of the rings 
#middleearthinspired #tolkieninspired


‘But this is terrible!’ cried Frodo. ‘ What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance!’
‘Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need.
And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.’
‘I am sorry,’ said Frodo. ‘But I am frightened; and I do not feel any pity for Gollum.’
‘You have not seen him,’ Gandalf broke in.
‘No, and I don’t want to,’ said Frodo. ‘I can’t understand you. Do you mean to say that you, and the Elves, have let him live on after all those horrible deeds?  He deserves death.’

‘Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.  My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many — yours not least.

 ...very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of hobbit-kind. The most inquisitive and curious-minded of that family was called Smeagol. He had a friend called Deagol. On a time they took a boat and went down to the Gladden Fields.
One day Deagol fall out his boat into the river, to the bottom, and he saw something shining in the river-bed. when he washed the mud away, there in his hand lay a beautiful golden ring; and it shone and glittered in the sun, so that his heart was glad. But Smeagol had been watching him from behind a tree, and as Deagol gloated over the ring, Smeagol came softly up behind.
 “Give us that, Deagol, my love,” said Smeagol, over his friend’s shoulder.
‘ “Why?” said Deagol.
‘ “Because it’s my birthday, my love, and I wants it,” said Smeagol.
‘ “I don’t care,” said Deagol. “I have given you a present already, more than I could afford. I found this, and I’m going to keep it.”
‘ “Oh, are you indeed, my love,” said Smeagol; he caught Deagol by the throat and strangled him, because the gold looked so bright and beautiful. Then he put the ring on his finger.
No one ever found out what had become of Deagol; he was murdered far from home, and his body was cunningly hidden. 

But Smeagol returned alone; and he found that none of his family could see him, when he was wearing the ring.  He was very pleased with his discovery and he concealed it; and he used it to find out secrets, and he put his knowledge to crooked and malicious uses. He took to thieving, and going about muttering to himself, and gurgling in his throat. So they called him Gollum.

They cursed him, and told him to go far away; and his grandmother, desiring peace, expelled him from the family and turned him out of her hole. So he journeyed by night up into the highlands, and he found a little cave out of which the dark stream ran; and he wormed his way like a maggot into the heart of the hills, and vanished out of all knowledge.

‘Gollum!’ cried Frodo. ‘Gollum? Do you mean that this is the very Gollum-creature that Bilbo met? How loathsome!’

‘I think it is a sad story,’ said the wizard, ‘and it might have happened to others, even to some hobbits that I have known.

..............
There was more than one power at work, Frodo. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.’
...even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. 
................

'... it seems that I am a danger, a danger to all that live near me. I cannot keep the Ring and stay here. I ought to leave Bag End, leave the Shire, leave everything and go away.’ He sighed. But I feel very small, and very uprooted, and well — desperate. The Enemy is so strong and terrible.’

‘My dear Frodo!’ exclaimed Gandalf. ‘Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. 
..................
Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.’
‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo.
‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.






No comments:

Post a Comment